Use criticism to develop yourself!
By Neha Verma
At some point in life, we all face criticism personally or professionally. Criticism doesn’t come easy and at times it is difficult to acknowledge the same. We often get bogged down by the criticism so much that we ignore what we can actually learn from it. So instead of retaliating or being defensive; pause for a while think critically and then respond – though easy said than done.
I am amongst those who would become extremely uncomfortable when criticized. My initial reactions were driven emotionally. I would carry the distress caused by criticism throughout the day and affect my work. Over the time, I realized that we don’t have control over others; how they judge and form an opinion about us, but we can definitely learn to respond in a better way and display our maturity.
If you are going through difficult time combating criticism, I have listed a few suggestions to face criticism bravely:
- Criticism opens a whole new perspective which you might not have thought of. Life is a process of continuous learning and we learn best from our flaws.
- When you accept criticism, you show humility towards the fact that you are ready to acknowledge your own weaknesses.
- Criticism helps enhance your emotional quotient. You learn to listen.
- Criticism makes you strong; you will learn to tackle difficult situations and people.
- Criticism enhances your problem-solving skill and makes you a rational thinker.
- Learn to let go unconstructive criticism, do not dwell on it for a long time and create a stressful environment for yourself.
We are often scared of being judged and are obsessed with the thought of what other people think of us. Most of the time, we receive unsolicited criticism/feedback and we tend to misinterpret the intention behind it. Criticism challenges our disposition and to maintain a calm demeanor becomes relatively difficult. But, remember you are being critiqued because you created something. So, next time when you are criticized, remember you and your work are being noticed. Don’t let opinion of others stop you from doing what you believe in.